Monday, September 14, 2015

Houston's Diverse Restaurant Scene

Happy Monday, everyone!

I thought I'd start this week out by sharing my weekend food adventures. Once again, Houston proved to me just how great it is to live in a city with so much diversity!

Friday night, along with my brother and parents, Adam and I tried a Korean BBQ place called Bon Ga in the Spring Branch area. I have had Korean BBQ before, but this was my first time at this particular restaurant. Since we were a family of 5, we got to order a ton of food to try and share among us. We started with kimchi pancakes and fried beef dumplings. Yum! Not everyone in my family enjoyed the pancake, as they were not as familiar with kimchi, but Adam and I really liked this appetizer. However, everyone enjoyed the dumplings. One thing about Asian restaurants in Houston, and this may very well hold true for Asian restaurants all over, is the inconsistency of service. I was worried about that with this particular restaurant, but my worries were unfounded because our service was great! Each lady that came and delivered our food made sure to tell us exactly what everything was, how to eat it, and what sauces went well with each particular dish.  This especially came in handy during the Korean BBQ portion of our meal, as we ordered a combination of 5 different meats. My favorite among these were the thinly sliced beef that we made into lettuce wraps and the intensely flavored beef short-ribs. Everything else was really good, but those were my favorites. The only part of our meal that I was less than thrilled with was the bean curd soup we ordered. I have had tofu soup at other restaurants and really loved it, but I felt this rendition was lacking in flavor in spice. Maybe the restaurant tried to tone the spice down for us newbies, but I was not really impressed. I suggest if you go try Bon Ga at some point to definitely order the Korean BBQ over the soup!






Saturday night, Adam and I went on a double date to Huynh, a Vietnamese restaurant east of Downtown near the Dynamo stadium. This was another hit! The pork and vegetable spring rolls we ordered as an appetizer were absolutely delicious, and the homemade sauce that came with them was incredible! For mains we ordered the chargrilled beef short ribs served with shrimp and a fried egg along with Bo Luc Lac, or stir fried beef tenderloin with peppers and onion often found on Houston Vietnamese restaurant menus. They were both really good. As you can tell, we love meat, and these dishes did not disappoint! Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures, but here is a link to their website in case you'd like to drool over their food pictures:

Huynh food pics



Lastly, Adam and I decided to try an interior Mexican place we pass all the time in the Montrose area for Sunday brunch called Cuchara. When we arrived at around noon, the place was super crowded with large family gatherings and of course couples like ourselves out enjoying a leisurely Sunday brunch. We were one of the only groups of English speakers, which is a good sign in my book of an authentic Mexican restaurant!  Because of all the large groups surrounding our table, service took a while, but in the end it was worth it. I had read that their chilaquiles blancos were worth trying, so that was my order. In most restaurants serving chilaquiles, you'll find a green or red sauce. However, this particular version is native to one certain part of Mexico, so it is a more rare find on a menu. This dish did not disappoint! The creamy flavor of the sauce was unique and really yummy! I found that it went quite well with the fried eggs on the side and the michelada with chamoy I ordered. As mentioned above, I really love meat, so I couldn't have a meal that was completely meatless! I decided to also order a pork rind taco. It came out in a cute little basket, and as soon as I took my first bite I groaned in pleasure. The tiny taco packed a huge flavor punch! Adam also really enjoyed his meal of enfijolados con tasajo (tortillas stuffed with cheese and covered in black bean sauce with a side of beef filet strip). All of our dishes were a hit, and I can definitely recommend them to anyone who tries Cuchara for brunch.  If you do decide to try Cuchara, be sure to check out their awesome mural too!





Happy eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment